Pastor Matt joined the Immanuel Staff as the Children’s Pastor in July of 2018. He has served in kids ministry with 2 local churches in Adair and Sequoyah County for the past 9 years. He is married to Tabby and they have 4 children, 3 boys, Braxton, Kennon, Harper, and 1 girl, Mattilee.
Leah joined the Immanuel Staff in November of 2015, She has been a member of Immanuel Baptist and serves in many other roles specifically in children’s ministry. She is married to Wadie and they have one daughter. She is a registered nurse and worked in nursing for 13 years.
Wadie Gerred serves as Missions director here at IBC. Wadie has the calling of leading our congregation to be mission minded, taking the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the city of Sallisaw, as well as our country and the rest of the world.
Sussanne Roth serves our 60+ club ministry for our senior adults. Her and her husband Henry have been members here at IBC for 40 years. They have a daughter Julie and 3 gandsons. She has served as he Children’s Director, taught VBS for 10 years and worked as a teacher adn administrator for 47 years
Veronica Lockhart serves as the Welcome Team and Guest Relations leader. She has been a member at IBC for more than 15 years. Veronica and her husband Ron have 5 children and 9 grandchildren.
Stephanie serves by leading the Sequoyah County women’s ministry. Stephanie and her husband Bobby have 4 children, Abby Kate, Bo, Brooks, and Boone
Mrs. Lora Wagner came from Wichita, Kansas, as a missionary from Faith Baptist Church in 1939. The first mission services were held 3 1/2 miles southeast of Sallisaw, in private homes.
In 1941 a mission was built on property given by Henry Burrows. Attendance at that time was about 40 in each service. Within a year, it had grown to nearly 100.
The mission was organized into a church for five years, and then went back to a mission. It became a mission of First Baptist Church until 1959. It was then organized into Immanuel Baptist Church.
In August, 1965, the church moved into a new church building in Sallisaw on South Elm Street. The church continued to grow over the next several years.
In late 1978, a church building on Maple Street was purchased. After moving there, many new ministries began.
We soon ran out of space and added an addition to the rear of the church building. We then added Preschool and Kindergarten. A short time later, we purchased the buildings nearby for a Youth Department and more Children’s Church space.
In July of 1983 the church purchased 21 acres on North Wheeler, and in August of 1985, we held dedication services with construction already on the way and moved into the new facility in February, 1987.
1987 and Beyond
Over the years, the Lord has truly blessed our church family. Many new ministries have been developed and used to His glory. Ministries and programs in the areas of Sunday School, Discipleship Training, Missions, Music, Youth, Single Adults, Senior Adults, Childrens, Preschoolers, Outreach, and many more continue to be a part of what God is doing through Immanuel.
Pastors of Immanuel Baptist Church from 1959 until now have been Hugh Harris, Franklin Carroll, O. J. Looper, Audra Martin, Mark Hall, Harold Mathena, Mike Ford, John H. Ewart, Ken Macken, Jason Helmbacher, Kevin Peterson, and current Pastor, Greg Burnsed.
what we believe
IMMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH ADHERES TO THE 2000 BAPTIST FAITH & MESSAGE
YOU MAY CLICK HERE TO READ THE SUMMARY OF OUR FAITH.
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER OF IBC?
Any person may become a member of the church who acknowledges Christ as Lord of his or her life, who trusted Christ alone for salvation. Here are a few simple steps:
- If you are a saved and baptized believer in Christ, you may request membership during any Worship Service or other Church gatherings when the invitation is extended after the message. We value you wanting to be a part of IBC so, prior to acceptance, you will be required to meet with the Lead Pastor and or Staff members for a time to get acquainted. After a discussion with the Lead Pastor/Staff about beliefs, your role here at IBC, and your desire for membership, you will be invited to the following service and presented to the Church body for acceptance.
- You will need to express your desire for membership in one of the following ways.
- Profession of Faith–If you have never received Christ as your Savior and/or publicity acknowledged/confessed Him, you will be given an opportunity to do so and also set a time to be baptized.
- Transfer of letter from a Southern Baptist Church–If you are currently a member of another Southern Baptist Church, we will receive you as a member with the promise of a letter from that Church. IBC will contact that Church and notify them of your request.
- Statement of Faith–If you previously made a profession of faith and have been baptized by immersion from another like faith, we will be happy to welcome you into our family of believers.
Any further questions please contact our Senior Pastor- Greg Burnsed